- ⅔ cup raw pecans
- 3 tablespoons cacao paste
- ½ cup coconut butter, melted*
- 1 to 2 tablespoons raw honey (adjust sweetness to your liking)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- shredded coconut, unsweetened
- chocolate chips
- chop the pecans in a food processor until coarse ground
- melt the cacao paste slowly in a bowl over simmering water (double boiler)
- mix in the chopped pecans, 4 tablespoons of melted coconut butter (reserve the remaining for dipping), honey, vanilla and salt until all ingredients are well combined
- using a small cookie scoop (1 tablespoon), scoop the batter onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Using your hands, shape each truffle so that it is round. The batter will be slightly crumbly, so shape each truffle gently and set it on the pan.
- insert a stick into the center and refrigerate for 30 minutes
- roll the truffles first in melted coconut butter, then in shredded coconut and set it back on the pan
- insert the chocolate chips into each to form the face
- keep refrigerated as the coconut butter melts at temperatures above 72°F
* You can make your own coconut butter by placing 2 cups of unsweetened shredded coconut in a food processor and processing until it is creamy and smooth. Alternatively, you can purchase coconut butter in jars. A good brand I can recommend is listed below. To melt the coconut butter, place the jar in a large bowl with hot water.
Recipe makes about 11 truffles.